Although I am having an amazing time in Germany, it was inevitable that at some point I would get a little homesick. I’ve experienced the usual staring at the shelves in Edeka wishing for Marmite and having my dad send me 160 bags of Yorkshire Tea. I’ve even found myself missing some really generic bars and cafes in Cardiff, despite Germany being absolutely full of amazing bars and absolutely delicious bakeries. I thought I would give you guys a few tips for curing any homesickness, whether you’re on placement year, or moving to Cardiff for University.
1. Skype everybody. If you miss somebody from home just tell them and ask if they want to call or skype you. Seriously just seeing a friends face from home can really help if you’re feeling a little lonely or lost where you are living.
2. If you’re on placement year, keep in contact with your placement tutor. That’s what they are there for and it can really help to speak to somebody from the university.
3. Don’t feel bad about missing home. I had a bit of a fret when I first started missing home, I was angry with myself for missing boring Britain when I was currently living in a new country. But it is fine. Most people will miss home at some point and that’s completely cool, it doesn’t make you boring or less adventurous!
4. If you’re desperate, most places will have a British shop. You can find food that you miss as well as an obscene amount of things with the royal family on.
5. Check the news. Keeping an eye on British news helps me feel less disconnected from my friends and family in Britain. It’s always good to know what’s going on and you can make sure that you know what your friends are talking about next time you speak!
6. There are always Facebook groups for expats, see if there is one in your city and join it. It can really help to find people in your city that are in the same boat as you. There are also plenty of Facebook groups for Erasmus students, you can usually find some good student events and maybe even find some friends from your home country.