As we all unfortunately know, University is very much about somehow trying to balance studying, with your social life, with societies, with sleeping, with exercising, with actually remembering to feed yourself…and so on. It’s important not to sacrifice anything so I thought I’d write a little list of tips for saving time. This might not be massively useful advice, sometimes you know what you need to do, but ya know, you just don’t want to do it. I have finally managed to drill these five things into me, and they really do help.
1. Prepare food for the week. Make a big pot of something on Sunday and then freeze portions, you can take them for lunch or quickly heat them up if you get in late. I’ve also recently started making my breakfast the night before (I’ve joined the Overnight Oats hype) and it’s a really good way to make sure you have a good breakfast, but you can also have a lie in!
2. Actually get up early! Some of you probably really don’t have this problem. But I did. I’m happy to say that I have finally managed to train myself to actually get up. It’s great. It’s 10:30 and I’ve already done so much stuff, go me! Exercising in the morning is a great way to get it out of the way. You’re also half asleep still so you can do it before you come to your senses and eat a whole easter egg instead.
3. To-do lists and alarms. I am so guilty of sitting down to have a quick coffee and then finding myself deeply invested in the fourth episode of Dinner Date I’ve watched today….It’s harder to do this when alarms keep going off telling you do your chores!
4. Do your reading when you get it. I am guilty of putting off my reading and then finding myself with 10 chapters to read in one day. Obvious advice, I know, but it will save you so much stress!
5. Stay prepared! This is a bit of a vague one, but make sure you always have drinks, snacks and vending machine change. This is a good tip if you often find yourself stuck in the SU doing work until late! I try to have everything I need so I don’t have to waste time going home and then coming back to Uni to work etc. I can just stay in after my lectures and get some work done.